Thursday, January 9, 2014

Ken Robinson: How to escape education's death valley

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_how_to_escape_education_s_death_valley.html

There was a comment that resonated particularly with me:

Marianne Haferkamp
Dec 29 2013: I am a creative person, and I am a kindergarten teacher! While growing up my artistic abilities were never truly fostered by the adults around me, however I am persistent or stubborn or both! I found a way to practice drawing and painting. I joined a small dance studio but soon after my parents could not afford it, so I joined the church choir because it was free. I have vivid memories of my childhood spent imagining, creating, reading, singing, dancing, drawing and painting. I enrolled in every art class possible while in middle school and high school (yes, our public school did have art classes in the 80's). I enrolled in drama class and joined the drama club (the television series, Glee would have been a huge hit if it were created). Funny thing though, I always felt like the "odd girl" with many of my peers and now I've grown into that role so beautifully as the "unique" teacher at school! After college and feeling empty and lost I reenrolled to study fine art. It was either art or prozac! I chose art for the sake of my own two children and my sanity.I studied art with its many forms (no hierarchy for me), but it was sculpture and ceramics I had not had an opportunity to explore! I love ALL forms of art, and apply my knowledge and abilities within my classroom each minute of the day I am with my students. I empower my kindergartners and teach them to know and understand it is they who are the very best artists in the world, and it is unfortunately the adults who will squash their creativity. So my next lesson is to teach them how not to be squashed! I hail Sir Ken Robinson for taking this platform and delivering a meaningful message about creativity and our education system. I finally feel validated as a creative person who has found meaning in life teaching youngsters! I am a prime candidate for teaching at one of those "alternative" schools, and I may just have to look into it. I do agree it would be most practical if the "alternative" were the "norm"!